Smith College

Table of Contents

Tours

  1. Garden Neighborhood

    The Garden Neighborhood is the most eclectic area of campus. It has the oldest house on campus and several houses that operate as unified communities.

    Stops

    1. Comstock House

      The complex was built in stages starting in 1922 to alleviate a housing shortage on campus. When all the houses were completed in 1936, William Allan Neilson, then the president of Smith, pronounced it the “Great Quadrangle.”

      Comstock and its twin neighbor, Haynes (formerly Wilder), were built in 1928. They share a covered front entrance and a bell tower, and their back wings join to form a courtyard which is nicknamed the “mini-quad.”

      Although Comstock has a twin, its many traditions set it apart from the rest. The house is reportedly “haunted” by a friendly ghost named Gloria. Gloria rattles doors and makes unexpected appearances to Comstock sleepers. Each semester, various students host roomwarming, which is a great study break and an opportunity to visit other students' rooms. Traditionally the first-year students plan a small house activity during Halloween, like roasting marshmallows and sharing scary stories. Senior Banquet is one of the last chances for the whole house to gather before final exams and graduation. Each class presents something to the seniors, whether it be poems, toasts or prophecies. The night ends with seniors willing their items to the underclass students.

    2. Haynes House

      Haynes House is one of the 10 houses of "the quad." Most of the doubles have large bay window seats.

      The complex was built in stages starting in 1922 to alleviate a housing shortage on campus. When all the houses were completed in 1936, William Allan Neilson, then the president of Smith, pronounced it the "Great Quadrangle."

      Haynes, and its neighbor Comstock, were built in 1928. Together they share a covered front entrance and a bell tower. Their back wings join to form a courtyard, which is nicknamed the "mini-quad." The Comstock-Haynes party is traditionally held in either the early fall or late spring to take advantage of the great weather.

    3. Morrow House

      Morrow House is one of the 10 houses of "the quad." The path from the quad to the center of campus passes the president's house and offers a beautiful view of Paradise Pond.

      The complex was built in stages starting in 1922, to alleviate a housing shortage on campus. When all the houses were completed in 1936, William Allan Neilson, then the president of Smith, pronounced it the "Great Quadrangle."

      Since the quad is a 10-minute walk from academic buildings and a 15-minute walk from downtown Northampton, some students prefer to use a bicycle.

      Unique to Morrow House is its "poetry room" which became part of the house's design at the suggestion of Elizabeth Cutter Morrow. Morrow, for whom the house is named, was a graduate of Smith and served as acting president of the college in 1939. The room contains a collection of volumes of poetry and books about poets, inviting readers to enjoy what was one of Morrow's chief pleasures.

    4. Wilson House

      Wilson House is one of the 10 houses of "the quad." Unique to Wilson are its raised front steps and bell tower. The terrace forms the platform where Commencement exercises are held each May.

      The complex was built in stages starting in 1922 to alleviate a housing shortage on campus. When all the houses were completed in 1936, William Allan Neilson, then the president of Smith, pronounced it the "Great Quadrangle."

      Wilson, along with Morrow and Gardiner Houses, was built in 1926. It was named for Martha Wilson, a graduate of Smith with the class of 1895. During her time at Smith, Wilson was president of her college house and a member of student council. She was the president of the Chicago Smith Club from 1901 to 1904, founder of the Central Council of Nursing Education and trustee of Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago. She died in 1923.

      Since the quad is a 10-minute walk to most academic buildings and a 15-minute walk to downtown Northampton, some students prefer to use bicycles.

    5. Gardiner House

      Gardiner House is one of the 10 houses of "the quad." The path to campus is very scenic, passing the president's house and Paradise Pond.

      The quad was built in stages starting in 1922, and it now houses the largest concentration of students on campus.

      Gardiner is a 10-minute walk to campus and a 15-minute walk to downtown Northampton.

    6. Sessions Complex

      Sessions House

      Built in 1710 by Captain Jonathan Hunt, the house was the first in Northampton to be built outside of the stockade. The staircase was originally designed as a secret passageway used during colonization by the Hunts as a place to hide when Native Americans tried to reclaim their land. It is also said to have been used during the Civil War as part of the Underground Railroad.

      Yet the most popular house legend is that the staircase was the site of clandestine visits between Captain Hunt's granddaughter Lucy and Johnny Burgoyne, a British Redcoat held captive in the house during the Revolutionary War. Sessions House is named for Mrs. Ruth Huntington Sessions, who acquired the building at the turn of the century and opened it to Smith students as housing became scarce. She later bequeathed the home to the college, and it has been used as a residence since 1921.

      Sessions Annex

      Sessions Annex, next door to Sessions House, was once the White House Inn. It was acquired by the college in 1969, and for a time housed men who were attending Smith on exchange programs.

      In 1977, the house was converted into a residence for women. Since that time, the main house and the annex have operated as one house unit.

    7. Haven/Wesley

      In 1896, Smith trustees were astonished when the college was bequeathed a large sum of money from Eliza Appleton Haven. She was unknown to alumnae, faculty or trustees. Equally surprised were some of her family members, who contested her will. It is believed that Ms. Haven wished to demonstrate her support for the education of women. Her generosity allowed Smith to purchase two houses along Elm Street, which are now known as Haven/Wesley, They provide housing for 71 Smith students.

      Although composed of two buildings, the complex is strongly unified. Residents are said to have the best location on campus, since the houses are close to both Neilson Library and the Campus Center. 

      There are a total of 25 single rooms and 23 double rooms in the two houses. Part of the houses’ charm lies in the unusual architectural features in many of the rooms: some have sloping ceilings and odd-shaped windows, while others have odd-shaped closets or private porches. Each house has coin-operated washers and dryers in the basement.

      One of the particular appeals of the Haven/Wesley complex is that each house has an extensive living room with a piano. Wesley has two study rooms as well. The complex is rich in tradition, with an annual Halloween Haunted House and two cocktail parties on winter and spring weekends. Other activities include “Covert Cupids,” Big Sib-Little Sib and the Senior Banquet. There is even an annual nontalent show!

      Havenites and Wesleyites pride themselves on living in a diverse and spirited house. Haven, which is bright yellow, is one of the most attractive houses on campus. On autumn and spring days, residents can be found on Haven’s porch swing talking and enjoying the weather.

      Haven/Wesley is also notable because writer Sylvia Plath lived there while a student at Smith.