Powell Hall, originally named “The Library”
Powell Hall was built by WPA funds, from the Roosevelt Administration, and completed in 1940 and was dedicated in 1941 by Eleanor Roosevelt.
Powell Hall has a renewed purpose as a teaching-learning-performance space for VSU’s Department of Music faculty, staff, and students. The renovated facility features student gathering spaces, practice rooms, rehearsal rooms for medium chamber ensembles, a conference room, a jazz ensemble room, a music education room, a recital hall capable of seating up to 200 people, approximately half a million dollars in new pianos, and much more.